In this article, we are going to talk about the Rheem tankless water heater reviews and why they are some of the best options around.
Tankless water heaters may have only been around for just a few decades but they have revolutionized the water heating concept tremendously. They have gained popularity and surpassed the traditional units due to their unique ability to use energy efficiently and deliver hot water instantaneously and continuously.
Just like with any other appliance or gadget, picking the right water heater for your household or commercial premises can be a daunting task. There are different manufacturers, different brands, different features, prices, and so on so forth. In the crowded and often competitive world of tankless water heaters, there are a few brands that have made a name for themselves due to their consistency and innovation when it comes to producing their units. One such example is Rheem; they have continued to maintain their presence in the market through continuous development and improvement by manufacturing affordable and efficient units.
Why Rheem, what do they offer?
Having been operational for over 65 years, Rheem has gained extensive experience in tankless water heaters manufacturing. Rheem uses their wide experience and modern technology to produce top quality units for commercial, residential, or industrial purposes. Looking for a unit to serve a small house or apartment? Or a powerful one to use in commercial premises like a salon or beauty spa? They have something for everyone.
Things To Consider Before Picking Your Rheem Tankless Water Heater-
- Size of the premises: the number of bathrooms or other hot water outlets is important when choosing the right water heating units. A building with many hot water outlets would require a robust tankless water heater with a big capacity and high performance. Smaller homes with few outlets will need a medium strong unit which can be relied on to serve a few bathrooms.
- Energy consumption: every household would want to be assured of regular hot water supply, but without paying an arm and a leg. These heaters are known to help reduce energy costs by up to 50%. It’s no wonder then that most people are upgrading from older electricity powered units to tankless, gas-powered heaters.
- Longevity: with good maintenance, these units have a longer span than the average storage tank system. Paying for a good product might seem expensive but the service that’s given by the system in return may be worth your while. While picking a Rheem tankless water heater system, be sure to check its warranty.
- Brand: the brand of the water heater matters, this is so true considering that some brands and their manufacturers are notorious for poor customer and support services, others have a reputation for manufacturing excellent products, and so on. We often hear terms like original or generic, genuine and counterfeit, first grade or third grade, etc.
A good place for you to learn more about the brand you wish to purchase is Amazon; here you’ll read experiences others who purchased the same product had with it, and whether they’d recommend it or not. Watching You Tube videos and the accompanying comments can also help you form a more informed opinion of the brand you’re interested in.
Here are the best 5 Rheem tankless water heaters in 2018
This is an outdoor low NOx propane tankless water heater. It’s a good bargain for medium homes or bigger homes with a capacity of 6.4 gallons per minute. Has an EZ link cable connection to allow installation of more than one water heater. Be ready for regular checks on the vents to confirm that they are fully functional.
Pros: less fumes and gas emissions, works quietly, and is easy to install
Cons: can only be used for outdoor installation
The RTGH-95DVLP runs on propane and has original stainless steel heat exchangers; this means durability and longevity. Digital controls have an intelligence mode enhancement for better fuel efficiency. It’s a unit ideal for larger homes and bigger families with multiple bathrooms and appliances that need the hot water supply.
Pros: has a self-diagnosis mechanism to ensure it runs properly, continuously.
Cons: takes a bit of time before the water becomes hot.
Rheem RTEX 13
Rheem products are generally not costly and this unit is for you, if you’re looking for a unit that works fairly well on a tight budget. However, the unit uses electricity; this makes it very ideal for indoor use due to its low or zero emissions of fumes and gases. The installation process is also amazingly easy and straightforward, so nothing much to worry about installation costs.
Pros: affordable, durable, and easy to install
Cons: only ideal for a small house whose demand for hot water is moderate
Comes with an energy efficient design and a compact size, makes it very flexible in terms of areas you can install it. Can comfortably serve multiple bathrooms and dishwashers without compromising on the water’s temperature. The installation is tricky though, you have to get a qualified professional to do it
Pros: powerful and reliable, affordable, it’s definitely a work-horse.
Cons: It’s small and cannot be used in huge mansions with a huge demand for hot water supply.
The RTG-64XLN works quietly, slightly more than a soft hum. It’s also very energy efficient and has Low NOx emissions. This unit is also outstanding in that it heats water almost instantly, no long seconds waiting for the water to heat up during a shower.
Pros: easy to install, works remarkably well and efficiently
Cons: some may find it a bit pricey, plus it is highly prone to cold weather /freezing breakdowns.
Maintaining your Rheem tankless water heater unit:
- Proper maintenance for your Rheem unit guarantees you of efficiency and durability with your unit. Regular flushing will help remove the mineral deposits that accumulate over time. A water softener will also come in handy; the harder the water you use, the more the scale deposits that will form inside the heater.
- If you decide to install the tankless unit yourself, ensure that you have carefully read the manufacturer’s manual. If in doubt, always consult a professional to come and do the installation at an extra cost. You also want to involve your gas company to ensure that the meter you’ve been using is compatible with the new unit you’re hoping to buy.
- Running multiple water heaters without considering the capacity can easily lead to a system overload.
Most Rheem tankless water heaters have a warranty of between 2 years and 5 years, with the exchanger burners being given a warranty of up to 15 years. Read the warranty keenly to see what is covered; parts, labor, or both?
How we tested the products:
For us, we do not promote or seek to market any brand or product for that matter. Not for a fee and not for free; ours is just honest and reliable review of the product in order to guide you and paint as clear a picture as we can. Now, when it comes to testing the Rheem tankless water heaters, we split our teams over a duration of 2 weeks. We tested each unit multiple times, taking note of everything from the installation to the use, and any sudden hitches that came up during use.
What we found out was that although this brand has a reputation for manufacturing cheap and affordable units, their products do work and can be trusted to get the job done. For other brands that we’ve reviewed on our site before, you’ll have noticed that installation costs and hitches were so common. In fact with one competitor brand (no need to mention names), part of the warranty made it clear that if the installation wasn’t done by a professional, the warranty would be invalidated.
Rheem has bypassed this hitch by manufacturing user friendly, easy to install units. Even as a newbie upgrading from a traditional unit to a tankless one, you’ll have little trouble installing and using the control remote or buttons. In terms of efficiency, we concluded that Rheem units can be relied on to offer a fair supply of hot water for domestic premises. By fair, we mean that 5 bathrooms and below, and an appliance or two can all be served simultaneously by most models. What’s the duration for water to get heated, a few seconds, several long seconds? Was the water temperature constant from start to end, or when an appliance was turned on the temperature decreased? All these are factors we considered in our analysis and research. Kindly note that Rheem has numerous products under this category of tankless units; we just decided to pick on some of the most popular ones.
Forget the old stereotype that Rheem only produces cheap and not so reliable units. Truth is that there’s something for everyone, there are options that will serve you for over 10 years or more. What matters is that you have proper maintenance, and invest in the right unit that will meet the hot water requirements of your premises.