A tankless water heater is getting into fashion these days, mostly because of its usage for the long run and compact spacing options. If you’re still wondering what tankless water heater is, it’s a much sleeker water heater as compared to the traditional tank water heater.
It stores water and preheats it whereas tankless water heater uses high powered burners which heat the water as it passes through them. This means you’ve got hot water at any time of the day as per your usage and needs. You are practically free from the hassle of storing water in a tank and waiting for it to heat up.
If you’ve recently made a decision to switch to a tankless water heater, you’ve made a wise move. This means you are already saving around 60 percent of your yearly heating bill. Now that you’re on the track, let’s discuss the cost and the size selection of your to be the tankless water heater.
COST AND SIZE SELECTION OF TANKLESS WATER HEATER
It can usually cost around $900- $ 5000. A good quality one should be approx around $ 1000- $ 3500. It may seem expensive in the start but its other perks actually will make you want to invest in it.
When it comes to selecting the size of the water heater, there are a couple of things you must keep in your mind-
- Determine the temperature of the water which will flow into the tankless water heater.
- Decide on the number of connections you require for hot water.
- You will have to keep the connections in mind, as your temperature rise depends on the number of outputs from your water heater.
- Now, calculate a rough desired output temperature from your heater.
- The next step is to determine the required temperature rise. To do this, subtract the temperature of the incoming water from the desired output temperature. Once you’ve got a rough figure, it will be easy for you to determine the size of your tankless water heater.
- The gallons of water flowing through the heater and its temperature heating will differ in electric and gas heaters.
Once you’re all geared up and have a brand new unit of a tankless water heater, the next step is installation. Are you one of those who may prefer saving the cost of a plumber and installing a unit all by yourself? Read further for detailed and easy steps to do so.
First, let’s check on the things you need for the installation. You will require the following tools-
- Screwdriver (different sizes).
- Drill machine.
- Hacksaw and reciprocating saw.
- Good quality pipe connectors
- Wood- 4-5 pieces of lumber, sheet if you’re building a closed box.
- Nails and hammer.
- Flexible gas supply line.
- Pipe insulation.
- Gas sniffer
- Tankless water heater.
The installation procedure is easy and worth that hot warm shower you need at the end of a long day! The steps include-
- Close the main valve of the water line coming into your house.
- Disconnect the water line of the existing water heater. To avoid any water spills, place a bucket to catch the water left in the pipe. Allow the pipe to drain completely.
- In the meanwhile, you could start building a platform for your tankless water heater. Secure it with screws and nails as required.
- The next step is to disconnect the source to your water heater. In the case of electric, unplug the device. And if you’re using the gas supply, close the valve responsible for the supply of propane.
- Mount the water heater on your platform.
- Install the ventilation ducting. You can use a good quality stainless steel flue or a copper one based on the durability.
- Attach the supply line.
- Next, attach the heat source. If it’s a gas-powered unit, plug in the gas supply line to the water heater. And in case of electric, plug it in the wall itself.
- Turn the knob of the gas line on, it should be in the same direction of the gas pipe.
- Use a gas sniffer to check for any leaks.
- Turn on the tankless water heater and enjoy your warm shower.
Install a Tankless Water Heater in Easy Ways
That was it. Until next time, cheers folks!